Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Be the change you wish to see

Hi all,

I like living by the adage, "be the change you wish to see in the world."  I think it mostly makes me better, happier, and healthier.  However, sometimes it can land you in some strange situations.  For instance, picking up a tab for people in a restaurant when you can't afford it is no fun.  Neither is reaching so hard for a charity goal that you bankrupt yourself doing it (@gr8fulyfeclub).  Or buying $200 worth of McDonalds, saying "feed everybody who comes in hungry today" and then losing your car in the process.  At any rate, it sounds easier to do than it actually is.

So.  Where does that leave me?  Be the change I wish to see, if:
a) I can afford it
b) people are willing to help
c) People will understand what I'm trying to do
d)Someone will bankroll the idea
e) ?
f)?

I guess I'm trying to put in place some safety nets, so what happened to me the first time won't happen again.  I should probably start a kickstarter campaign, write some grants and see what I can do.  I have already generated a team of people who will help me, but I have to stop going all rogue/lone wolf/batman on this situation.  I need to wait until people are willing to help, plan things way ahead of time, and generate some income to base this off of.  A teacher's salary alone isn't cutting it.

At any rate, perhaps the smartest thing I can do at the moment is put the brakes on, get a tax id number so I can give people receipts, and get some donations.  The  basic premise, in case you're interested, is that I am grateful for everything I have in my life.  In fact, in some cases I have 3 iterations of things.  In computers, I have a yoga, an old linux laptop, a desktop, an amazon fire tv, a chromebook, two phones, 10 printers . . . the list goes on and on.  What I've decided for myself is to keep the top 3 of any set.  So for instance, the top three computers: laptop, linux laptop, and chromebook.  Then, the rest of them can go to students, people in need, Costa Rica, or anyone I think could use a boost.  This directed giving should, in theory, help those folks elevate their lives and improve their standing in the world, and they will hopefully pay it forward someday.  I do the same thing with bikes, tools, clothes, etc,  I call it the rising tide - a reference to trickle down economics which of course hasn't worked, and the idea that a rising tide lifts all ships.  Trickle up economics seemed too slow, and things don't trickle upwards.  In essence, instead of legislating charitable donations, I want to, by example, help everybody around me and show them a better way.  I want to educate them, give them things I don't need, and help them to bolster their communities too.  In this way, we can rebuild the middle class.  In this way, we can each have a happier, healthier life.  (referencing the TED talk where directed giving makes us happier).  I want to work my way up to cars and boats.  But I'll start where I am.  I have extra math knowledge, extra bikes, tools, kitchen supplies, yard equipment . . . and I want to de-clutter my life.  I want to help people by giving them things that will improve their life or give them new opportunities.  But they have to want the help.  They have to show that it helped them, and I hope they will pass it along to someone less fortunate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment