Sunday, August 13, 2017

Summers, afa^2

Hi all,

It's been a while, hope you've all been well.  I'm realizing that summer's coming to a close and I haven't said much on the blog lately.  So here goes.  I find that my teaching career feeds into my mood swings with some predictability, and that summer is usually a time where I'm high.  Not surprisingly, it also means increased spending, silly chicanery, more dating, adventures, and low balances at the bank.  My struggle for the last few weeks of summer is as follows: Do cheap and free things that are still awesome.  In fact, I want to write a social media app that helps people find things like this.  It's going to be named something like AFA or A squared - always free and awesome.  Maybe afaa.  or Afasquared.  I dunno, feel free to comment suggestions. 

Anyway, the basic premise is this.  There have to be others like me who are always in search of the next adventure.  There also have to be others who, like me, can't afford to have all those adventures be expensive.  So, Afa^2 will use social media and crowd sourcing to find the best of every area.  For instance, in my neck of the woods, I think tubing the farmington is one of the best things.  It's free as long as you have 2 vehicles and a couple inner tubes.  It's not hard, and as long as you can swim it's a great way to spend a lazy day in the hot summer.  But, unless you know the river and where to park, put in and take out, you can get lost and end up walking miles to your car.  So it's only free if you have the knowledge.  I know people have little gems like this for their areas that I haven't figured out yet, and I'd love to hear about them.  So this app is like waze for driving, helping people avoid the pitfalls of other travelers while they do cool adventures.  They could also advise that parts of the adventure are illegal, and help people do a risk assessment to see whether it's a good idea.  Of course, nobody advises illegal activity, just like nobody advises people to speed when they use waze, but knowing the risks and where the cops are help people make better decisions.


No comments:

Post a Comment